One very exciting development is our borehole. The drilling machine and operators arrived on the 10th August around 3pm and started drilling. The equipment and process was really quite amazing to watch. Apparently the drilling vehicle itself costs R8,000,000 (no wonder it costs quite a lot for the bore hole to be dug)!
After only about half an hour of drilling we started to see water. This was at 16m! We couldn't believe our luck! The Drilling manager, however, explained that they recommended drilling deeper because often when water is found so shallow, it is either only a small amount sitting just off the surface, or it can dry up very quickly. They guys drilled a little deeper and then decided to put the steel casing in and continue drilling the following day. They put 18m of casing down and covered the hole and left to stay the night in their caravan.
The next morning, I had to leave to go to St Lucia for the weekend. I was photographing Wedding that I had agreed to do before we moved, but there was so much going on, I didn't really want to leave!
Anyway, the drillers continued to 66m, at which point there appeared to be a vast amount of water coming out of our borehole, so we asked them to stop and check the refill speed! Apparently our borehole fills at 20,500 litres/hour! A huge amount of water and therefore a huge success. So the drillers packed up their machine, left the 18m of steel casing and covered the hole and Bryan and I were both relieved and ecstatic that we had found so much water so quickly and on the first attempt. Our progress to clean and plentiful water was past step one!
The following week the Drilling Company returned to Kamberg Valley Hideaway and installed our borehole pump, 60m below ground. Step two, was now complete!
We then had our electrician and our plumbers connect the piping and the cables to the DB board, the Jojo Water Tank and the borehole and Step three was complete. We now have borehole water filling our Jojo tank.
Next week, the remaining Jojo tanks will be connected, the pump house moved and re-connected and we are hoping that by the end of next week, our entire water system for our Main House, the Guest Wing, the Staff Accommodation and our 3-bedroom Cottage that is being renovated, will all be connected and running smoothly! I'll let you know how we get on next weekend!
I brought Zinny back with me from St Lucia, so she has been with us for two weeks and since we have had 3 sets of guests since then, I can't say enough how great it is to have her here with us. Henry moved in yesterday and this morning he was out chopping down some of the fallen trees that we haven't managed to get to yet! I think Zinny and Henry will make a fabulous team and we are so pleased they have both moved here to help us out.
In order to get the Staff Accommodation inside completed, I did something that I don't think I have ever done before, except maybe when I was a child. For those who know me, you will understand the shocked reaction I received from my Mum when I sent her this photo!
So, that's the news on our staff accommodation, all that really leaves is the update on the Old Tin Cottage that we had torn down and our fabulous builders (Ezweni Construction) were rebuilding.
As always the builders are working at record speed and most of the walls are now up, both inside and outside. Beaven (our builder) is hoping to start plastering the walls later this coming week, so as you can see, huge progress has been made on this renovation. We were hoping to have the Cottage ready for December, but it looks like we are well ahead of schedule and it should be up and running for guests in mid-October!
Enjoy your Sunday and catch up with you all next weekend!