During the past few weeks we have been trying to siphon and drain our main dam so that we can removed the bass, in order to stock trout for fly-fishing and also to clean up the dam and carry out some seriously needed maintenance work. We have had a TLB working on clearing the reeds and digging up as much of the sludge as possible.
We had no idea before we started this job how deep parts of the dam are and it has been a great exercise for us to see exactly what the structure of the dam is, so that we can advise future fishermen! Some areas are so deep, it is perfect for trout!
This Friday we finally succeeded in draining the last of the water that we could with the water pumps and we managed to remove some of the bass.
After that we will leave the dam alone for a couple of weeks to dry out a bit, then the TLB will come back and finish the remaining cleaning and maintenance work. We are getting there and it will be a fabulous fishing dam once we are finished!
As the water in the dam has gradually reduced, we have seen a significant increase in the number of birds visiting the dam to check out the food available.
We have had HammerKops, Sacred Ibis, Pied Kingfishers, Spoon-bills, Egrets (to name but a few) and of course our resident Egyptian Geese. We thought the Egyptian Geese may have had young ones, but Bryan's Mum (who is amazing with birding) has advised us that the two birds on the sand bar are South African Shelduck. We haven't seen them before, so it's a first for us!
The builders are going great guns and the cottage is looking fabulous! The tiler has started tiling the bathrooms, the insulation is in the roof space and the ceilings are up and the outside has been painted (just one more coat to go!)
We are so pleased with how it is looking and can't wait for the finished product.